Abul-'Abbaas Moosaa ibn John Richardson
(Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
Joined: Sep 2002
Conditions for one's tawbah to be accepted:
(1) Sincerity (hadeeth of 'Umar: Actions are but by intentions);
(3) To cease committing the sin (while he is capable of committing it
(4) Having remorse about the sin
(5) Firmly intending to never return to the sin
(6) To return the rights of others if the sin involved infringing on others' rights (this includes clarifying the truth if a person was spreading falsehood)
(7) The absence of mujaaharah (exposing one's sins), since mujaaharah causes one to not be forgiven, as in the hadeeth that means: "All of my ummah will be excused except those who make their sins known to others."
The scholars mention #3, 4, and 5 as the three conditions of tawbah when they deal with the subject in brevity, and they may mention these seven or more (like having halaal income, etc.) when dealing with the subject in detail...
And Allaah knows best.
Moosaa ibn John Richardson
******************** سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك أشهد أن لا إله إلا أنت أستغفرك وأتوب إليك
This message was edited by Moosaa on 10-28-04 @ 5:16 AM