|Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah |
Shaikh Al-'Aqeel (hafidhahullaah) on the Bid'ah of the Mawlid
Here are notes from Shaikh Muhammad Al-'Aqeel's khutbah last year (1429 H.) given in Madinah - relayed to us by student of knowledge Abu Muhammad al-Maghribi - concerning the bid'ah of the celebration of the Prophet's birthday.
SubhanAllaah, the evidences not only refute the doubts of the people of bid'ah, but in fact reveal a shirk-filled origin to this celebration. May Allaah protect us from deviance. Ameen.
Here are the notes from that khutba:
- Corrupt religions take from each other
- The origin of this innovative celebration of the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) can be traced to the Greeks and Pharoahs, who used to celebrate the birthday of their "gods" ["astonishing since how can a god be born," the shaykh asked rhetorically].
And then the corrupt religions inherited this bid'ah and evil 'aqidah (creed), so much so that they assign a day to celebrate the birthday of each "god." The Christians - in imitation of the Greeks and Pharoahs - began celebrating the birthday of Jesus, son of Mary, although this celebration was not revealed to them by Allaah. Thus, this celebration of the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) was innovated into Islam through Christianity.
- And the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) made it clear in the Sunnah that there are only two 'Eids (Eid Al Fitr and 'Eid Al-Adha), and all other celebrations are rejected.
- For four centuries (A.H.), Muslims only celebrated these two 'Eids. The Christians who lived amongst the Muslims celebrated the birthday of Jesus, imitating the Greeks and Pharoahs. [Then, the deviant Shi'a Faatimids introduced this bid'ah into this Ummah, and the ignorant ones celebrated it.]
- As for the mistaken [one] who said, "If the Christians celebrate Jesus' birthday, Muslims have more of a right to celebrate the Prophet's birthday", then this was without a doubt wrong. We do not follow the Christians [or anyone] in matters in which they erred.
Everyone [even the deviant] is agreed that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) did not celebrate his own birthday or the birthday of any of the Prophets before him or anyone else, and the sahaba did not celebrate the birthday of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam), or any Prophet before him, or their own birthdays, or the birthday of the righteous.
Reasons behind the spreading of this bid'ah:
1- Jahl (Ignorance) - the ignorant [may Allaah protect me and you from being among them] legislates for himself what Allaah didn't allow. It becomes part of his religion. This ignorant person will judge people based on this: those who celebrate this bid'ah are the believers to him, and those who don't are munaffiqun (hypocrites) to him.
2- The people who celebrate this bid'ah use this celebration to innovate other bid'ah - all under the umbrella of "Love for the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam)."
3- Economy - Some of those who celebrate it keep it alive because they need the money for food, music, hiring to recite poetry, new clothes.
4- They celebrate this bid'ah in prime areas [downtown or in parks], attracting the people with music and gender mixing.
5- Many of them try to make up for the fact they don't follow the Prophet's Sunnah enough, so they listen to shaytan's whispers and celebrate this day. Like a person who mistreats his mother or even hits his mother [we seek refuge with Allaah from this behavior], then buys her a gift on Mother's Day to "make up for it". Likewise, this celebration is haram/innovated, and the food and music and chanting will not make up for not following the Sunnah. [In fact, it will further distance one from Allaah]
6- The final reason is actually mentioned by historian Al-Jabraty, who said that French ruler Napoleon Bonaport (a kafir) commanded this birthday to be celebrated, and he also celebrated it and sponsored it. Why? Why would a kafir support this celebration? Because he saw that [by this celebration] the people stayed away from the legislation of Al-Islam, weakening Muslims and making them fall prey to others.
May Allaah protect us from all bid'ah [Mukaafirrah and mufassiqah] and their people! Ameen.
Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk
If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.